SAO Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

California's Sierra Nevada's - Part 6

Well, Steelhead season is upon us and I didn't want to leave my California trip blogs open, so let me just hit a couple of more highlights here and close the chapter.  Here in a week, we are going to be up to our necks in steelhead and our guide trip blogs will take front seat.  So, while we are waiting to hit full steam on our streams, let's look to California one more time.

Here is a photo of a couple of close friends who you may find on the steelhead streams with me throughout the season.  They have been to California with me the past two years and this year, Ben stole my big fish award with this very nice, thick Brown Trout caught on the Kings River.  This fish was more than willing to hit a large stonefly imitation thrown right at sundown.  Almost simultaneously, John nailed a smaller, but very healthy Rainbow in much the same manner.  Without question, this was the nicest double we saw on our trip.

BEN WITH A TROPHY BROWN TROUT

Back into the backcountry of Kings Canyon National Park, we pressed into the higher elevations.  The next stop was Evolution Creek.  The creek starts at roughly 11,000 ft above sea level and ends at it's confluence at about 7,500-8,000 ft above sea level.  This change in elevation takes place in about 5 miles.  This is an amazing stretch of water that goes from flat water stretches that flow through high elevation meadows to moderate gradient and then to flat out rough and tumble turbulence!  Every part of it is beautiful in it's own right.  

The stretch photographed below was lined with various wildflowers that framed the river in a radiance not often matched.

EVOLUTION CREEK AS IT DESCENDS TO THE CONFLUENCE BELOW

As I said earlier, the stream, as it falls to the confluence can be a "flat out, rough and tumble turbulence."  The photo below is just one part of a massive series of falls that make up Evolution Falls.  It is a spectacular view that you have to see with your own eyes to truly appreciate!

PART OF EVOLUTION FALLS IN ALL ITS SPLENDOR

Now for the conclusion to my California blogs......we'll finish it with a couple of shots of the world renowned California Golden Trout.  Not only is it the state fish, but a highly sought after jewel that many only dream of catching on some day distant.

I have had the opportunity to catch hundreds of these little jewels in my past three trips and I can tell you with confidence that every one brings feelings of amazement every time I lay eyes on one.  The below photo, although not in good focus, was placed here, to help all understand the beauty of coloration.  It doesn't take a photo that is in crisp focus to appreciate brazen colors such as this.

A CALIFORNIA GOLDEN IN THE FLAT WATER OF EVOLUTION CREEK

And finally, a small beauty that rose in the late afternoon sun in McClure Meadow allowed me to capture his beauty on film.  I have been blessed to travel and catch fish of immense beauty and trust me when I say that these little jewels are among the best in the world.

I hope that sometime in your future (if you haven't already) you are afforded the opportunity to fish for this little treasures in crystal clear water.
 
RAW BEAUTY AT ITS BEST

Well, that ends my chapter on the  California Sierra Nevada's.  I hope that it has caused you to dream the dream, or as one old timer told me at one of my presentations...it took me back to a place I will never be able to go again.  Whichever category you might fit in, I hope that blogs like this take you to a place where your line is tight, the fish is just the one you were casting to, and at the end of the fight, you get to see up close and personal, the beauty that is insurmountable.

Until next time, keep the lines tight.....

Patrick Robinson
Head Guide
Steelhead Alley Outfitters

No comments: