SAO Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Once Only In Dreams, My Eyes Have Now Seen

For years, going back to my childhood, I can remember dreaming of an opportunity to travel to Alaska. For more than just a child, Alaska is a place that many dream of....men and women alike! It is easy to see why so many dream of this place. It is full of amazing wildlife, some of the largest in the world.....Caribou, Moose, Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears, Walrus and the list goes on and on!

THE EVER FAMOUS GRIZZLY BEAR

The land is strewn with majestic glacier covered peaks many of which are alive inside (volcanic). Circumventing the peaks, clear water and glacial water streams flow rich with life of every kind. Each has is own special characteristics and I guarantee they will leave a mark on your soul that you won't soon get rid of.

MARGOT (pronounced Mar-go) CREEK

BROOKS RIVER WINDS IT'S WAY
TOWARD NAKNEK LAKE

Another cool thing about Alaska is the crazy color of water that is found in some streams and lakes. Rivaling waters further south in the caribbean, the glacial waters of Alaska will leave you absolutely awe inspired! Some rivers and lakes flow with a beautiful shade of cloudy turquoise blue (that can't really and truly be described). you will just have to take my word for it when I say it is simply spectacular.
THE BLUE GLACIAL WATERS OF UPPER NAKNEK LAKE

All in all, the state 0f Alaska is breathtaking and will take more than one lifetime to explore unless you have the opportunity to live there. My first opportunity to explore came just about a week ago. It was an amazing opportunity and one I am thankful to have taken. Fishing on the fly was our focus and I have to say that the fishing was spectacular. It was at times so fast and furious that it left your head spinning like a top. I can remember one such instance when I was fishing for Bows on the swing on the Naknek River. Now, mind you, swinging streamers for any species is fun and rewarding, but you don't typically get fish hand over fist using this technique. I recall that morning on the Naknek, and I went five Bows in a row all over 20" with two breaking 25". These weren't the grab and got em on the first try either. These were patience testers. You know the kind? Hit you once....you stay in the game....strike you twice, still nothing....the swing continues........then BOOOOM..........PAYDIRT! The drag starts to scream and off into the deep the bows would head.

All in all, the fishing was spectacular! From Rainbows to Char, Grayling, or Salmon.....every fish was an honor to catch!

JEREMY ROBINSON FIGHTS HIS FIRST
UGASHIK CHAR OF THE TRIP

A BEAUTIFUL BOW CAUGHT SWINGING
ARTICULATED FLESH FLIES

To sum it up, Alaska is a truly amazing place. In the days that lie ahead, I will strive to share with you some of my photos and stories from our time in King Salmon.

Currently, I am trying to relocate my family to a new home so bear with me if the posts don't come as fast and furious as all of us would like. I am currently writing with paint covered hands and an aching back. Nevertheless, I will keep posting every opportunity I get.

Until next time,

Patrick "Flybum" Robinson
Head Guide
Steelhead Alley Outfitters

No comments: