SAO Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Birthday Wishes Come True!!!

Today was a great day to be on the water.  Fishing is improving across the Alley, and for those who have time to get out, memories are being made.

Today was such a day.  For one young man, he was dreaming of his first Steelhead.  He had never used a fly rod as far as I knew, and was very excited about the prospect of learning to use one.  Now when I say today was a great day to be on the water, all you have to do is look at the fish below.....29-30 inch hen weighing near 12lbs.....to agree with me.

This fish was caught in the middle of a lesson on proper casting mechanics for the young man.  I was showing him some of the issues he was having with his cast when WHAMMO!

PATRICK "FLYBUM" ROBINSON WITH A NICE SPRING HEN!

Sometimes things like that happen, but in short order, I was back to trying to get the youngster into his first fish.  Within the first hour or so of instruction on casting, this little guy (8 years old) was grasping the techniques and making smooth casts....at times better than some adults I have had on the water.

After two hookups and subsequent disappointments (that's the nice way of saying break offs) the lad was starting to get bummed and borderline emotional.  I encouraged him and told him that many of the mistakes he had made were common to man :)  I said, "Don't sweat it....there are more fish out there with your name on them.

After a few more casts, I instructed him to check it (set the hook) and when he did, sure enough....it was another fish on.  Only this time, we were fortunate to keep it on.  The youngster took instruction very well and in the end landed his first fish on a fly rod...on his first day of fly fishing....and it was a Steelhead to boot.  What a day for this guy!

THE YOUNG LAD WITH HIS FIRST FISH ON A FLY ROD

THE BIGGEST FISH IN THE WORLD...EVEN IF IT WERE JUST FOR A MOMENT

ANOTHER STEELHEADER FOR YEARS TO COME!

After multiple attempts at fish, we decided to call it quits for the day.  The day had been a super day for steelheading and with a young guy like this, it doesn't get any better.

So perhaps your wondering why the title, "Birthday Wishes Come True?"  Well, what I didn't tell you was that today is my birthday.....and that little guy.....that young Lad, well, he's my son.  And today ladies and gentlemen, I am one blessed man!  

It has truly been the best birthday a man could ask for!

Until tomorrow.....

Patrick "Flybum" Robinson
Head Guide
Steelhead Alley Outfitters

No comments: