SAO Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

California's Sierra Nevada's - Part 1


Well, I have been dragging my feet a bit getting back into the swing of things since I got back from two weeks in the mountains so you will have to forgive me.  Something about that much time away makes you revolt against the routines you left.  Nevertheless, I have been hounded relentlessly about when I was going to start blogging, so before I head out for a family reunion, I thought I would try to get this ball rolling.

Above is the group that I went to California with this year.  A great group of guys consisting of about 60% fly fishing rookies.  Despite that rookie status though, they kept at it and all caught fish.....some more than others, but they all caught fish.

The cool part of this trip is that you are on the trail, not just hopping rivers in trucks.  Not that doing that is bad, but there is a different dynamic when you are in raw wilderness with a pack on your back walking through the woods to get to the next hole.  After long days there are lazy nights that allow for time around the fire and the opportunity to hear some stories that you will cherish for years.

Sharing Time and Stories Over the Campfire

One of the big reasons for my return trip to the Sierra's this year was to spend some time behind the lens of my camera.  Last year all I had was a point and shoot and this year I wanted to capture the beauty in a more refined kind of way.  It was fun, definitely a learning experience, and so much a LABOR of love it wasn't funny.  The unfortunate side of my camera equipment is that it is heavy...really heavy.  So, yeah, you guessed it....that weight went in my pack on my back....to the tune of about 80 pounds.  Not exactly what I wanted, but 50 miles of trail later, I am still alive and kickin.

I have many photos to share and will do so over the next few weeks and months as I have the opportunity.  But for now, I thought I would just show you a couple of shots from the first night when I was shooting that last remaining light over the lake we were camped beside.  Just for your information, this lake was 5 miles long and 250 feet deep and could be empty by summers end. As you will see in future photos, its waters are a brilliant shade of blue.

Patrick Shoots Over the Waters of Lake Florence

This is one of those shots that takes you back when you see it for the first time...or at least it did for me.  Please keep in mind that no matter how nice the camera, you will never be able to fully capture the beauty of the Sierra's.....maybe in part, but not in it's entirety.

The Serenity of Lake Florence After Sundown

For those who will be seeing us at the shows, I will have a very nice photo album that has a more in depth look at this trip.

Keep checking back in the days ahead to see further installments of California's Sierra Nevada's.

Tight Lines,

Patrick "Flybum" Robinson

No comments: