SAO Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Against All Odds - Lake Erie Steelhead Alley Fishing Report

The day started with the ring of my alarm. Through the haze of my eyes that refused to be awoken at such an insane time, I noticed that it was raining fairly good. I immediately went to the rainfall gauges and realized that the rain hadn't been all that bad up on the Alley. Up in the Conneaut area, they only had .12 inches of rain....no big deal I thought.

Fast forward to a couple of hours later when we were ready to hit the stream and it was a totally different story!!! With over 3/4 of an inch now on the ground, it was inevitable what was about to happen. The question was when.

I had a couple of the guides out scouting and they looked at every trib from Cleveland to the New York line, and everything was blown. Fortunately I had the lady on my side and she was definitely nice to me today. Either that, or God was on my side....I like to think the latter!

Upon arrival, the water was on the rise, and leaves in the flow is a gross understatement! It was sick how many leaves were flushing!!!

CHECK OUT ALL THE LEAVES!!! THAT WAS JUST
WHAT YOU COULD SEE ON THE SURFACE.

DOUBLES ON LEAVES....NOT AN
UNCOMMON SITE ON TODAY'S WATER.

However, despite the issue of rising waters and the plethora of leaves, we were fortunate to get on some fish that were still willing to play the game. How, I don't know, but I don't really care! All I know is that I got them to play and I was happy...as were my clients!

After one lost fish, Kevin really turned it on and managed to get the skunk out of the bag against all the odds. It was a beautiful fish and the smiles made it that much better.

GORGEOUS LAKE ERIE STEELHEAD

After a nice little fight, Kevin worked the fish to the net. When I came up with chrome in the net, I thought I was going to let out a shout. I honestly had doubts as to wether or not we would be able to pull fish out of these flows, but as luck would have it, we did.

We hooked numerous fish, but most had their way with the fight. We didn't really care, because we all realized what a blessing it was to even had a chance on such a day!

Here are a couple of shots from the day.

KEVIN SMILES WITH CHROME

KEVIN POSES WITH HIS FRIEND STEVE
ON A VERY WET, YET MEMORABLE DAY

Needless to say, it was a very good feeling to pull off a day such as we had today.

Currently most if not all of the streams are up, up and away. There are some exceptions, so check the obvious locations to gather this information. We have guides out every day, so we will update you as soon as we are able. One thing is for sure....this will bring in fish and distribute what is already here!

Until Next Time,

Patrick "Flybum" Robinson
Head Guide
Steelhead Alley Outfitters

No comments: